Re: [OM] Panasonic RW2 files, was Re: One bid wonder

Subject: Re: [OM] Panasonic RW2 files, was Re: One bid wonder
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:31:49 +0100
Hi Chris and all,

From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>But I  don't use LR, or CS4, so I don't have access to the latest ACR to
convert RW2 files.

I'm thinking about getting LR or PhotoShop Elements -- I believe it can use
ACR too, and I don't need the whole PhotoShop features.

>It appears that the latest Panasonic RAW files have a fair amount of
aberration adjustment to carry out and the parameters have
>not been taken up by Apple for use in Aperture, iPhoto or OSX system files.

I hope ACR takes them into account -- Silkypix (with its AWFUL interface and
engineering) does. Supplied with the GF1, is the only software I tried for
RW2 files... and leaves a lot to desire! It's a shame because the GF1's
picture quality imporves A LOT shooting raw instead of its poor JPEG engine
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicGF1/page15.asp> (scroll down to
'Real word advantages')

>I have to convert using another programme like Silkypix or LightZone then
import the resulting TIFF files to Aperture.

OTOH, maybe I could just use Silkypix to make low contrast, wide dynamic
range 16bit-TIFFs to be restored/processed with another editing software (16
bit capable). But it seems softer and less detailed than ACR, though.

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)