[OM] (WAS) Re: Advice on 90/2 lens repair - broken off metal piece

Subject: [OM] (WAS) Re: Advice on 90/2 lens repair - broken off metal piece
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 01:16:30 +1300
Ken wrote
> Isn't it amazing that the squarest, boxiest, least appointed item tends to
> have the hardest core followers.

Ken, these older, mainly manual, non-electronic Landies are highly sought-
after in New Zealand as well. They will go almost anywhere (with
modification through water 3 ft and more deep) and not die. Their parts are
not so expensive. They are reliable to those in the know.

I have a very nice-looking Range Rover, and it has been the worst purchase
of my life. The NZ book "The Dog & Lemon Guide" of 800 pages, is scathing
about RR ( as well as Jaguar and many other vehicles).

It looks great, the body is lasting very well indeed, it is a dream to drive
when it is going well, and (except for water crossing) will go over rough
terrain as well or better than any more or less equivalent 4x4.
BUT, it is thoroughly unreliable. I cannot trust it enough to take it anywhere
far from a RR service centre. The complex computer system is a horror, the
air-bag suspension system has many components that fail, and parts are
astoundingly expensive. The BMW straight-6 motor is very smooth, but the
auto gearbox is also prone to failure.

When I get it fixed enough to sell ( 2nd hand dealers here won't touch them,
as they also won't touch Jaguar) I hope to buy a 1997 Toyota Hilux Surf 3L
turbo diesel.  These seem to be the most reliable, and 2nd hand prices
reflect that.  But the latest models of Toyota, as I hear, are in the RR camp,
with too many computers and placed where they are vulnerable to water
damage, to even consider buying.  I'm told that the Department of
Conservation in Otago had three written off by the insurers when their
computers got wet during minor river crossings.  Apparently they can't
manage water much more than ankle depth - so I am told.

Brian Swale.