Re: [OM] IMG: film stuff from the holidays

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: film stuff from the holidays
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 21:59:07 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I agree with the leaning sides as a problem and came near to commenting on it
> myself yesterday. I also agree with the B&W rework except that the rework
> contrast has gone the other way and is now too high. I'd choose somewhere in
> between.

Chacun à son goût. I'd probably be happy with that, too.

> The third image (of the couple) is, I think, a special case where one doesn't
> want to raise the contrast of the background too high since it draws
> attention away from the people.

Same thing. I played with that until it pleased my eye. I thought about
lightening the couple a little, to separate them from the background
more, but decided not to.

Joel Wilcox wrote:
>> I agree with the leaning sides as a problem...
>>

> Not sure why this is seen as a problem.

Because I don't like the way it looks.  :-)

> The symmetry is fine. I personally like a bit of leaning in to give the
> proper perspective of looking up.

Looking at a skyscraper, sure. Here, I prefer to minimize it. It looks
more natural to my eye this way. I've stood about looking up and
noticing how my vision compensates for quite a lot of perspective
distortion of this sort. Look without thinking, and the impression is of
something square. Think about what I'm seeing, and I see that it is
trapezoidal.

> Perfectly straight lines on the side give away exactly what has transpired in
> PP.

You have a Zuiko shift, do you not? The use of lens and back movements
to correct this kind of distortion dates back to very early in
photography. Had Nathan used such means to correct it pre-exposure,
would that be better? Is it less acceptable when done in post?

BTW, if you apply a grid to it, you will find the lines aren't quite
straight up. I've found that going all the way looks less natural than
leaving a tiny bit of the tilt.

Moose