Re: [OM] Speaking of birds and feeders

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of birds and feeders
From: "Paul Laughlin" <pelaughlin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 20:45:59 -0800
The finches around here seem to have headed south.  Mostly have House
Sparrows and Juncos hanging around.  A couple of Scrub Jays and, of course,
the starlings,crows and pigeons.  I don't mind the squirrels too much.  Kind
of get a kick out of them.  I like to give them a challenge, though.  The
current feeder is made of steel and glass and hangs from a 1/2 inch square
steel pole hanger.  The squirrel has to work to reach the feeder.  One has
jumped from the birdbath to the feeder a time or two.  About 4 feet.  I have
a bouncer squirrel feeder that takes corn on the cob and has a spring in it.
With the corn about 18 inches from the ground, it makes for a pretty good
show. LOL  I like to set up a camera at the window on a tripod.  With AC
power adapter, remote viewfinder using a DVD player and remote shutter, it
works out pretty good.  I am planning on picking up a Fuji S200 EXR in a
month or two to replace the Panny FZ20 that I have been using.  I shot in
bursts quite a bit when there is good action on the feeder so as to catch
the birds in flight.  Get lucky once in a while.  I like this one.
http://www.pbase.com/pelaughlin/image/116890023
It is a composite of three images shot in burst.  The same bird coming in
for a landing.
Had a red breasted nuthatch hanging around last summer for a while.  That is
just about the quickest little guy I have ever seen.  Would only stay for
three or four pecks at the seeds and gone.
Paul in Portland OR