Re: [OM] (OM) OT A-Data USB Flash drive

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT A-Data USB Flash drive
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 06:29:08 -0500
I think you're in a state of denial.  The indication is that the drive
has failed in some way.  I find it difficult to believe it's the fault
of FastStone.  FastStone (like other browsers) does write to a directory
even if you're only viewing it but all it does is create/update a
thumbs.db file in that directory.  Going from application file write to
totally destroyed drive directory structure should be an impossible
thing without the complicity of a serious bug in the OS.  That also
seems to me highly unlikely.

You need to open that second drive to assure yourself that it's good.
If you're leery of FastStone use Explorer or even use a minimalist
approach.  Start a command line window and type DIR d: where "d" is the
drive letter of the flash drive.  If the second drive is OK (meaning you
see a list of files from the DIR command) then you want to copy that
data somewhere to form a second backup until you figure out what's going
on with the first drive.

What you do about the first drive depends on whether you are able to
create a second backup from the second thumb drive.  In any case I would
apply an image recovery program to the first drive just to see what's there.

Chuck Norcutt