[OM] Pee bags, was Dunnies - was Nathan's PAW 48: point and shoot

Subject: [OM] Pee bags, was Dunnies - was Nathan's PAW 48: point and shoot
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 18:30:46 +0000
For the aircraft which have it, Charles, it's just a toilet.  In smaller,
faster machines it's a pee bag or something like "relief system".  I've only
used it once, in the F16.

Story: switch off now if you get bored easily.

My first ever long-range trip, using a USAF Reserves KC-135 to get 5 F16s from
MacDill AFB, FL to NAS Miramar near San Diego.  I felt the need to pee after a
couple of hours, perhaps over Texas.  So I broke the membrane on a pee bag and
tried to use it.  But the little fighter's seat is inclined at 30deg (vs the
13deg of most other ejection seats) and I'm not well-endowed enough to make the
flow from leaning backwards like that.  So I have to unstrap and lean forward a
bit.  But also it's cold in the cockpit and a limp dick becomes quite difficult
to find.  So you have to think warm thoughts to make it all happen!

What is also difficult is holding formation with a tanker while trying to find
your willie in a flight suit strapped into an ejection seat.  So I wandered
away from the formation and almost couldn't find them when I had finished my
business.

But that was preferable to a USAF colleague's experience.  Before we departed
MacDill he showed me a pee tube affair that he had rigged up: a funnel over
said willie, tube-connected to a pee bag in his lower flight suit pocket.
Trouble was it leaked ... and he got out of his super-cool F16 on the ramp at
Fightertown USA with a long wet patch on his flight suit leg and crotch,
risking great scorn from our Naval hosts.  Oh, the ignominy!

And this is a photo of me in a D-model (2-seater) just before departing
Miramar.  I think it was taken with an Olympus Infinity Twin, bought in San
Diego a few days before.

http://gallery.me.com/zuiko#100053

Chris