Re: [OM] IMG: Angels - 05 - Bob

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Angels - 05 - Bob
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 11:10:32 -0500
On Nov 22, 2009, at 8:40 AM, Philippe Amard wrote:

> Thanks also for the info on cultural issues in the US.
> BTW, got any lobster collection or did you eat /  have you eaten
> them all?

Plenty left. Good prices, too. One could gorge one's self, if one were
so inclined.

> These Angels  live in Engleberg i.e. the Angel Mountain - people have
> got(ten) used to having their place associated with Angels since the
> 14th century I guess.

14th Century. Wow. I once read a fascinating history of that period. A
Distant Mirror, I think. Barbara Tuchman. I'm reading The Proud Tower
now. Also by her, covering the period 1890-1914. In the 14th century I
was still tracking through Saxon and Celtic gene pools. <g>

> Here, one of the jewels of the village is a  Catholic monastery in the
> midst of the otherwise non catholic Germanic part of the country.
> And it needed repairs - incredibly expensive even for the Swiss. The
> Church holds one of the largest organs in Eurpoe BTW.
> So they decided to offer 'sponsors' the possibility to purchase plain
> angels, and decorate them to their tastes, and then put them back on
> auction so that they might make profits for the restoration of the
> monastery buildings.
> So far as I know, most sponsors not only paid for the statues once,
> but
> bought then them back when on auction ...

That's a terrific way to raise money. If a religious institution tried
it in the U.S., the statuary would have to be on very private
property, though. And even then there would be grumbling and efforts
to block views from public places. The lobsters and lighthouses here
in Maine also raised money, for local arts programs, if I recall
correctly.

> So this is the behind the scenes about angels - more to come -
> hopefully
> some covered in snow or ice as I plan to go again at Chrismas/Xmas.

Looking forward to seeing them, and anything else you have to offer
from your very spectacular part of the world.

Bob Whitmire
www.bwp33.com