Re: [OM] Some 250/2.0 Samples (colour, Fuji 800)

Subject: Re: [OM] Some 250/2.0 Samples (colour, Fuji 800)
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 10:18:32 +0200
Hi Moose,

Thanks, and I agree that several of the images, like the Tree and the
Rivonia Blvd sign, are silly
test subjects, nothing more. There were not too many photographic
opportunities in this spot, and
I was not even sure of the condition of the film, I simply used it as
an outing to get a feel
for the 250/2.0 in poor light, and the lens in general.

I agree that many of these images can benefit from some grain removal,
as your well-applied examples
illustrate. I had done no processing on these images, preferring to
illustrate the raw grain of the
ISO 800 print film - but for serous use, I would definitely remove a
lot of the grain in many of the images -
in the "Wet Crossing" image, however, I'd probably leave it alone, it
adds to the atmosphere, and also
creates the impression of more detail, even though I were forced to
use a way-too-slow shutter speed, and
my focusing was not great.

Thanks for your insights - how did you remove the grain? I have been
playing with GreyCStoration for
adaptive grain removal, it's exceedingly good at it, but I gathered
you used Adobe Photoshop?

Dawid

On 19 Nov 2009, at 12:49 PM, Moose wrote:

> Dawid Loubser wrote:
>> .... It was really more of a "let's see how this lens works, and if
>> it can be hand-held" event than an inspired
>> photographic outing, and in not great surroundings, but the light
>> was, for a moment, quite nice during the rain.
>>
>> All of the images taken at f/2.0 (hand-held) shutter speeds usually
>> between 1/125s and 1/500s:
>>
>> http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs50/f/2009/320/9/b/Wet_Crossing_by_philosomatographer.jpg
>> http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/320/3/3/A_Slice_of_Curve_by_philosomatographer.jpg
>> http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs50/f/2009/320/9/4/Trim_and_proper_by_philosomatographer.jpg
>> http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/320/3/1/Bird_and_Antenna_by_philosomatographer.jpg
>> http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/320/4/c/Rivonia_Boulevard_by_philosomatographer.jpg
>>

> Quite good results for a learning outing in less that what are
> normally
> considered easy lighting situations. The first two are my favorites,
> as
> they work will with the strengths of the lens.

<snip>