Re: [OM] [IMG] on another cloud.

Subject: Re: [OM] [IMG] on another cloud.
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgonzalezgentile@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 22:15:28 -0200
Cc: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
2009/11/16 Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>:

> I know you have gone through a great deal of trouble and work on
> questions of scans, processing and color spaces. It's all seemed
> amazingly complex to me, and far beyond any issues I've had with film
> scans, but not clear where the major problem(s) lie.

They're becoming clear to me - slowly.
First, I never was in fact able to process film and print (wet lab in color).
After a couple of years of developing and printing TriX etc., I fell
in love with KM and during the 80s it was my only film.
Printing positives was beyond my means, but have some impressive well
done prints.
During the mid 90s 'till 2003 I seldom used my basic Olympus kit,
shooting C41 and some TMax400 - I have my daughter's first ten years
of life captured by a Sony8.
During 2003, I checked my gear, bought Provia and Velvia, found this
list and tried to print - oh!, the world had changed: I needed an
scanner if I wanted to print. I was taught that using NikonScan 4.0.2
was more than enough, and a must do. I lost ages into those tiny
windows. My scans are intended to be seen on paper, not on a monitor
trough the web, that's my Principia. Thus, I have aRGB as my scanner
color space, and let the rip care about it. Since last week I have a
Spyder3. Thus, I'm looking aRGB through a 'color window' made by the
device / software ...

> Still  - this image looks sort of like overdone Velvia, not Ektachrome
> and certainly not like I imagine the original looked. I don't believe
> I've ever seen clouds that color.

Absolutely.
During my learning journey, found myself facing two situations: one
where the slide was perfect and I wanted to see on paper what I saw
trans illuminated; the other was the slide was lacking and it needed
something to be added.
Right, I never saw clouds that color either.
Think that most color artifacts were introduced at the .jpg stage,
fortunately: reduced color noise twice: using Intellisharpen, and
using NikSoftware. Some months ago I had observed how did 'reduce
color noise' shifted blue towards red, discussed this together with
Carlos - and ended discussing the transillumination problem.

Corrected the .tif a little: yes, it was also too red . Color Balance only.
No noise reduction at the .jpg or .tif (contrast or color noise).

Hope I managed to get a more natural look, while preserving that
strange red hue at the bottom of the cloud.

Tell me how do you see this version - now datacolor tells me my
monitor is at gamma 2.2, 5800ºK, black 0.15, white 125 cd / m^2 (FWIW
!! :-) )

small:
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/fernando_gonzalez_gentile/4109946723/>
large
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/fernando_gonzalez_gentile/4109946723/sizes/o/>

Cheers, and thanks for your help once again, Moose.

Fernando.