[OM] Some 250/2.0 Samples (colour, Fuji 800)

Subject: [OM] Some 250/2.0 Samples (colour, Fuji 800)
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 17:48:55 +0200
Hello All,

I had some severely expired Fuji Superia 800 print film in the fridge.
One roll. Which had a note on it "continue at #4" - I had started
shooting this roll the first time I laid hands on an OM-1 around 3
years ago. I figured I'd slap it into the Clay's OM-2n he sent me as a
gift, stick on the "easy hand-holdable" 250/2.0 and do some street
shooting one rainy evening. It was really more of a "let's see how
this lens works, and if it can be hand-held" event than an inspired
photographic outing, and in not great surroundings, but the light was,
for a moment, quite nice during the rain.

All of the images taken at f/2.0 (hand-held) shutter speeds usually
between 1/125s and 1/500s:

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs50/f/2009/320/9/b/Wet_Crossing_by_philosomatographer.jpg
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/320/3/3/A_Slice_of_Curve_by_philosomatographer.jpg
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs50/f/2009/320/9/4/Trim_and_proper_by_philosomatographer.jpg
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/320/3/1/Bird_and_Antenna_by_philosomatographer.jpg
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/320/4/c/Rivonia_Boulevard_by_philosomatographer.jpg

As I said... this beast of a lens and I are becoming friends. It's
*such* a joy to use and focus, so smooth, and the combination of a
hyper-sharp 250mm lens, bright viewfinder at f/2.0, my favourite 1-8
smooooth focusing screen in the OM-2's huge viewfinder, and a focus
ring with "just the right" amount of focus travel, makes the focusing
and composing experience delightful.

Hmm - 35mm colour print film at ISO 800 is extremely grainy, but not
too bothersome for most modest print sizes, I must say, and I quite
like the subdued colour hues. Grain is about equal to what I used to
get with my C*non 1D MkIIN at ISO3200 (perhaps pushed a bit), but what
I do like is that the grain pattern has zero banding, unlike almost
every DLSR I've ever used, so it's very live-able. Wouldn't do it for
critical work in this day and age, but it was liberating to not be
caught by Ken's "gotcha of the great" by shooting expensive/good film
- this was a grainy, cheap, expired film, I could have fun and just
snap away.

I can really recommend to anybody to put your favourite OM lens on
your favourite OM body, load it with some cheap print film, and go
have fun. The images still have "substance" !

thanks for watching,
Dawid