Re: [OM] IMG : Angels - 03

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG : Angels - 03
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 11:41:28 +0200
Hi Phillipe,

The first one (angel in front of doorway) doens't strike me as
anything special, more like a snapshot to document the object.

The second one I do like quite a bit more, with the selective focus. I
always like to apply the mantra of always asking myself "what can I
remove from this shot?" - i.e. every distinct element in my images
must be there because I like it to be there, otherwise it must be
removed, either via shallow DOF (my favourite technique for going
this) or via composition, the technically better technique for doing
this. In your shot, the semi-blurred, very bright building on the left
scream out to me, and draws attention away from the main subject. I
would tone it down or remove it by some means:

- Selective darkening
- Cropping it away completely
- Making the DOF even shallower, though with a four-thirds body and
this angle of view, that may have not been possible

As ever, my personal aesthetic opinion, nothing more.

Dawid