Re: [OM] ( OM ) OT; China - a shift in global power?

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) OT; China - a shift in global power?
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 21:16:19 -0600
On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Jez Cunningham
<jez.cunningham@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Q to those 'Murkin friends - do you use 'pint' or is it usually (fluid)
> ounces or quarts?
> Jez

I notice drinks in convenience stores here are sold in 16, 20, 32
ounce sizes commonly (and others -- you get the idea).  I learned 2
pints make a quart growing up.  32 oz and one quart tend to be my
reference points.  If I get a 16 oz coffee, I don't think of it as a
pint, particularly, though I know it is.  Drink containers are
generally labeled "12 oz", "16 oz", etc.

Beer is sold mainly in 12 oz cans and bottles here.  A serving mug or
glass in a tavern accommodates that amount -- a bit more than your
"half pint" in a pub.   In this context, I rather prefer British pints
 God save her majesty.

Joel W.