Re: [OM] The fate of the Universe [was IMG: Friday Flower, sort of ...]

Subject: Re: [OM] The fate of the Universe [was IMG: Friday Flower, sort of ...]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 16:04:05 -0800
Bob Whitmire wrote:
> Healthy era? Human kind? Be nice, it would, but I ain't holdin' my breath.

You die before it happens anyway, so no point in hurrying that along. :-)

The kind of shift I'm talking about is so profound that the very ideas
of what healthy, human, kind and nice are may change dramatically.

The last such big shift occurred when people were scattered in many
small communities and over a long period of time. I say community,
rather than city-state because I believe that idea of a state, in the
sense we understand it today, probably didn't exist before the shift.

In a world so highly interconnected in instant ways, a shift would
likely be much faster. The post catastrophic event sci-fi stories
generally posit a physical event. Perhaps it will be something else.

Moose