[OM] [IMGs] Isis of West Branch

Subject: [OM] [IMGs] Isis of West Branch
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 22:10:23 -0600
Some photos are linked below, but a bit of context first.  Jez posted
this last July regarding Herbert Hoover and US relief to Belgium in
WWI:

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 4:34 AM, Jez Cunningham <jez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Specifically re: Leuven (my nearest town):
>
> "After WW1 the US Commission for the Relief of Belgium, originally set up by
> Herbert Hoover to deal with the war famine, was converted into a scholarship
> foundation financing Master or PhD studies in the US. Hundreds of Leuven’s
> professors were trained there and came back with new cutting-edge abilities
> and a culture of research."

After an outing with my friend Paul C., during which OMs caught some
of the day's beautiful light, I rode to West Branch, Iowa, and stopped
at the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library.  It's a pleasant if snoozy
place, with the Hoover birthplace home and a restored neighborhood
surrounding it, in addition to the library itself.  There is also,
oddly, a sculpture of Isis, which is extremely tough to photograph
because it was set with her face to the north so that it is always in
shadows against the sky in this quadrant of the world.  (This is
actually appropriate when you see the sculpture.)

I had not noted before that the sculpture was a gift from the Belgian
people for the Hoover library.  In the context of Jez's information,
the whole experience of being with Isis on a beautiful late fall
afternoon was especially meaningful.  What a great community to be
part of!

http://jfwilcox.jalbum.net/Isis%20of%20West%20Branch/

Joel W.