[OM] (OM) Re: Indecent exposure (again)

Subject: [OM] (OM) Re: Indecent exposure (again)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 06:06:04 +1300
I am very grateful for the help I have had in this matter:

To recapitulate .... (from Rickard)

Chuck Norcutt described the remedy to those two points in an earlier
post. The trick is the following:

   * Set the camera to manual exposure and manual focus.

   * Configure the AEL/AFL setting to mode "M3". This will cause the
AEL/AFL button to work
     as a "focus-on-demand"-button. Remember to activate only the middle
focus point, for consistent behaviour.

   * Set the function of the thumb dial to Shutter (in Manual mode).

   * If you like, switch the FN and AEL/AFL buttons so the focus function is
available to you just below the thumb dial.

With these settings, it is simple to get consistent exposure and focusing:

   1. Set ISO.

   2. Set aperture (by pressing the +/- button and turning the dial at the same
time)

   3. Point the camera towards something you like to set your exposure after.
       You can use either spot or pattern metering.
       Adjust the shutter time by turning the thumb dial.
      You can directly read out the amount of over- or underexposure the
camera thinks you are doing,
      both in the viewfinder and on the LCD.
      You can configure both the direction of the thumb dial, and the amount it
should increase/decrease shutter time.
      I prefer to have it to increase the shutter time a half  stop when I turn
it
right.
     That makes sense when shifting aperture on manual Zuikos too.

   4. Point the camera towards something you want to focus on, and press
the AEL/AFL (or FN) button.

   5. Now, exposure and focus is set, you can freely compose and then take
the photo.
       The camera won't change any setting when you press the shutter
button.

Since all settings will remain after the shot, you often just have to change
the focus for the next shot.

Regards,
   Rickard Nilsson
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now I have a feeling somewhat akin to panic.  Yes, this configuration DOES
work. I'm amazed.

It requires a deliberate approach which is what I wanted and gives me full
control and responsibility over exposure and focus.

But what if I want (as sometimes happens to all of us, I'm sure) to grab the
camera and just fire off a shot or two to capture something taking place
unexpectedly and fast, leaving the camera to manage exposure and speed
control (I prefer aperture priority).

I can't do that now  ... ...

I remember AG, I think it was, writing that he had set up his camera for two
users with different needs.  Seems to me that I now need to have that ability
in the E-3, otherwise I'm hamstrung for grab-shot situations.  I don't want to
HAVE to carry two cameras ALL the time, "just in case".

Can someone please point me to the menu area?

The manual for the E-3 is worse than obfuscating legal documents - the
devil is in the detail (and the consequences are not spelled out well at all).

Brian Swale.