Re: [OM] 250/2

Subject: Re: [OM] 250/2
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 02:36:06 -0800 (PST)
<<
The focusing, for tracking any kind of moving target, is terrible on  the
300/4.5 though.
I wish they had brought out a later, internal focusing variant of one  of the
small 200mm / 300mm lenses.

The Novoflex follow focus lenses work really well with OM's and of course are
great at tracking moving targets.  Gary Reese tested a few Novoflex's on his
website using them on OM's.  The really big ones 400+ mm get a bit unwieldly.

Although fairly simple lenses they are very sharp at centre being optimised
for wide open sports/animal use. They just let the corners go soft. They also
have really good bokeh since they have an incredible number of blades on
diaphragm. My favourites are the 240mm and 330mm. The 240mm is actually
reasonably compact (though not retro-focus design) when racked to zero, so one
of my favourite travel lenses, works well with 1.4TC too.

Gary's most careful and best result with novoflex 400mm f5.6 :

OM-2000 with mirror prefire and second tripod supporting hood - camera
rightside up, but mounted to tripod with head oriented vertically;
Vignetting = A- @ f/5.6, A thereafter
Distortion = slight pincushion
Aperture  Center    Corner
f/5.6      A-           B-
f/8         A            B
f/11       A            B+
f/16       A            B+
f/22       A-           B
f/32       B+          B+
Notes: High contrast; slightly cooler images than with a 400mm f/6.3 Zuiko.
Best employed on a tripod with a tripod collar forward of the pistol grip - but
unavailable that way for testing.
<<<<
Compare result with the best result from Zuiko 400mm 6.3 of same Focal length
(but slower lens):

OM-2000 with mirror and diaphram prefire
Vignetting = none
Distortion = Slight pincushion
Aperture    Center    Corner
f/6.3       C+        C+
f/8          B         B-
f/11        B+        B-
f/16        B+        B
f/22        B+        B
f/32        B+        B+
Notes: Moderately high contrast images.
<<<

Gary really liked the 250mm F2 results:

250mm f/2 Zuiko (multi-coated)
Vignetting = C @ f/2, A- @ f/2.8, A @ f/5.6
Distortion = none

OM-4 w/ mirror and aperture prefire
Aperture  Center    Corner
f/2        A         B+
f/2.8     A+        A-
f/4        A+        A
f/5.6     A+        A+
f/8        A         A-
f/11      A-        A-
f/16      A-        A-
f/22      A-        B+
Notes: Extremely high contrast and resolving power at all apertures with only a
minor loss in the corners at f/2 and f/22. Strong vignetting at f/2, requiring
exposure compensation for critical work. Probably the best overall image
quality of any OM System Zuiko lens made. Brillant images with f/5.6 showing
corner to corner clarity unsurpassed by any Zuiko tested.

<<<

Tim Hughes