Re: [OM] ( OM ) an off-topic question for rural USA-dwellers

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) an off-topic question for rural USA-dwellers
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 08:40:25 +1100
Agreed - two classes of things although GM is simply a way of doing
the same thing faster or even more strangely.
We had no problem producing low-grade, tasteless, cheap food by
selective breeding and hybridisation. Tough, square tomatoes come to
mind.
But GM fearfulness is a classic example of faddish behavior - there is
a faint possibility that we may produce a toxic hybrid but it's not
terribly likely.
And we eat plenty of foods with toxins in them anyway - I would
recommend not eating too many walnuts at one sitting as I know to my
cost.

Faddish fearfulness is fuelled by people with an agenda - political or
commercial. The people who've convinced us to consume vast quantities
of bottled water, for instance. A good example is the current
popularity of 'gluten-free' foods. Gluten needs to be avoided by at
most 1% of the population with levels of coeliac disease - almost all
of them blue-eyed northern European ethnic types. For everyone else,
it's actually healthy. Very healthy. And as for the idea that a gluten
free diet helps control autistic behaviour - no actual proof whatsoever.

That said, I'm no fan of Monsanto. No, they aren't evil but they are
corporate. The were a chemical company until Plant Variety Rights
legislation was passed (and they were actively involved in promoting
it). Then they got into the seed business as a complementary activity
to glyphosate production (RoundUp).
You might prefer investing in 'ethical' funds - they tend to perform
rather well anyway.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx