Re: [OM] ( OM ) an off-topic question for rural USA-dwellers

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) an off-topic question for rural USA-dwellers
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 11:16:50 -0800

> I suspect that part (b) here refers to not being allowed to plant the
> seeds derived from commercially developed (and patented) corn seeds.
I think it refers to the fact that Monsanto has sued farmers who plant
seeds contaminated with genetically patented material (Roundup tolerant)
AND THEY WON!!
The farmers did not want these seeds/plants since they contaminate their
own organic crops making them worthless. If I remember Monsanto went
onto the farmer's field to gather "evidence" without permission. The
landmark case was somewhere in Canada... Ontario maybe? It has happened
in the US too. Genetic contamination is now widespread.

Mike