Re: [OM] Death of the DSLR Camera - Gearlog

Subject: Re: [OM] Death of the DSLR Camera - Gearlog
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 10:49:09 -0600
On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 5:24 AM, Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> And good riddance too. As an avid ex-DSLR user, I can admit that they
> are kludges, all of them,
> good as they may be.  In the bigger scheme of things, this temporary
> era of mixing optics/mechanics,
> and a digital sensor, will soon pass.

snip
> Anybody else feel the same?

A little bit.  The article Chuck cites is about markets.  Being a
cranky niche user, isolated and self-subsistent, I don't care what
shows up in my next cell phone.

But there was something wonderful about my first digicam, the C5060W,
followed soon by the C-8080, that has not been equaled by any DSLR.  A
near perfect camera would be the C8080 with a modern 4/3 sensor and
much better EVF and the ability to change lenses.  Micro4/3 is not
very far away from this, I should think.

I took a little flak from people for going with a digicam instead of
just making the leap to a DSLR when I first experimented with digital
capture, but that was a really fun and creative time for me.  The DSLR
has been a necessary phase but a slight letdown in comparison.  I
certainly doubt that my children will ever pass through any sort of
SLR-DSLR phase.

I think the OM-1 or similar camera is really useful for learning about
managing exposure, but other than that, I don't see an SLR as
essential..

Joel W.