Re: [OM] Geocoding images [was A Few From Acadia National Park]

Subject: Re: [OM] Geocoding images [was A Few From Acadia National Park]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 19:48:11 -0700
usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Thanks for the f/u on that.  Have been waiting since I saw the I-gotU.
> Smaller and less expensive than the Jobo I had been watching.  Some
> significant bugs early on but I haven't kept track.  Be a bit nicer to tag
> the Jpeg and RAW w/o fussing.   The I-GOTU perhaps is better with multiple
> cams going too.  Ability to replace the battery would be a plus though.

I don't think the Jobo was out when I did my original research. And I'm
not sure I would have opted for it even if the price were the same:

- Size does make a difference for me.  :-)   Carrying the I-gotU is
really transparent.

- I see the mounting sticking up like a small flash as awkward. I'm
forever in odd positions trying to get an angle. I perceive the Jobo as
likely to be annoying in my use.

- Two of my active digicams don't have a hot shoe, or any external flash
connection, so the Jobo won't work with them. I did a whole day's
shooting in NY with A650 alone and the I-gotU worked fine for that,
including geotagging the JPEGs. The EXIF geo data then gets copied to
the TIFFs from RAW conversion, along with the rest of the EXIF I have to
copy anyway.

- As you surmise, I fairly often carry and use two cameras, which is no
problem with the I-gotU.

As to downsides:

- I've run into no bugs at all in gadget or software to date.

- The lack of native capability for anything but JPEG is only a minor
annoyance. If there weren't free, capable apps to do the geotagging, it
would be a big deal. As it is, the extra time and trouble is minimal.

- It's hard to see the little signal LEDs in bright light, because they
are inside the slightly translucent case so the whole thing can be
watertight. This bothered me until I worked out my process and became
confident that it just works.

- It can take it a long time to sync up with the satellites when first
turned on - at least if I am silly and just turn it on and start
walking. I guess being on the move makes it harder to latch on. Not that
I ever lost locations I needed that way. Still, I worked out a process
of setting it out, say on the car roof, while getting jacket on, gear
hung on me, etc. Then check in the shade of my hand and it was always
already recording by the time I was ready to walk off.

- I can see why they don't have a replaceable battery. The gadget would
be larger and less simple. It is nice that it's so light and tiny, is
completely waterproof and has only the one button interface. My guess is
that the battery will outlast device obsolescence, but I can't be sure.

Moose