Re: [OM] Got a stupid questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Got a stupid questions
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 20:34:03 -0700
Willie Wonka wrote:
> I am looking at the pictures from my childhood and find myself attracted more
> towards the one printed on a matte paper.
>
> The pictures I liked in museums were always printed on matte paper.
>
> I really havent seen prints from "big artists" in a museum.  What paper are
> they printed on?
>
> Why is glossy paper more popular?

More popular with whom?

In higher end inkjet papers, there are a wide array of choices of
finish, from dead flat matte to super glossy, with all sorts of
variation in between. For serious printers, paper choice is an important
part of the art of creating a printed image. There are artists,
including photographers, who spend a lot of care on the details of
matting, as well.

Print the same image on matte and gloss papers, and you get two very
different printed images. Which most fully fulfills your vision? Use
that one. If neither suits, try an opal paper, which is usually
in-between. Want flat, but with more character, try a textured paper.
And so on.

Moose