Re: [OM] Yet another stupid question

Subject: Re: [OM] Yet another stupid question
From: "Ian Manners" <oice500@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:27:59 +1100 (EDT)
Hi Boris,

> She needs someone to reproduce her original paintings.� Some "professional
photographer" offered to take pictures of them.� I convinced her that shed be
better off if
someone scans them professionally, citing all camera lens limitations.

I did my brother inlaws paintings before they are sold/shipped with
the 510, and the E3 with various len's. You have to get the lighting
at the perfect angle otherwise you get areas of reflection, and the
flash(s) bring out the wrong bits :-(

There is also the matter of getting the colors right so its best to make
sure you do initial editing while you still have the paintings.

I didnt have a problem with any lens limitations but I would recommend
scanning them if the scanner is big enough, so much easier and the
lighting is a lot better for the different canvas used, the result is better
all round ! I only photograph the ones that are to big for my old SCSI
scanner now.

> Did I give her the wrong advice and can you recommend a lab that can do that,
preferrably closer to RI? (although she wouldnt mind if it is on the left
coast, although
she dozent seem to be a leftie...:)

So I would say you gave her the right advise but I cant help you with
labs as I'm in the wrong country ;-)

Cheers
Ian Manners
Not tonight, dear.  I have a modem.