Re: [OM] OT: Why are the Mamiya Lenses so good?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Why are the Mamiya Lenses so good?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 09:51:10 -0500
Moose grunted much which I've snipped, but:

> At the moment, I've got both. Just fly me down and I'll try both on your
> Cuban restaurant. My 35/2.8 is MC and black nosed, though, so you might
> have to fly Ken down with me. ROAD TRIP!!

Oooo.  I'm game!  Let's roll!

I'm a huge fan of the Zuiko 35 F2.8 lens.  Mine happens to be single-coated,
which serves me just fine for the type of work I do, but would probably
recommend a multi-coated one for anybody looking for a best possible.  I
sold my original (idiot!!!), but Tom Scales managed to correct that for me
when he was parting with the last of the stash and found this silvernosed
gem sitting unloved in the corner.  I'd have to check my records, but I
think it cost me about $2 per mm.  What a deal!!!!

Of my current stash of lenses, if I could ONLY have one lens and had to give
up all the rest, I wouldn't hesitate for a second.  I'd keep the 35 F2.8.
That said, I'm quietly lurking with an eye out for an F2 wide-angle. Not
looking aggressively, but just keeping an eye out.

Personally, I'm having a real problem with spending $300 on a new piece of
wonder-plastik lens instead of a nice prime optic from the OM Zuiko days.

AG