[OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 39: ¡A la bici!-now Chuck's knee

Subject: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 39: ¡A la bici!-now Chuck's knee
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 18:02:09 -0400
Glad to here you are doing well.  Not being an orthopedic surgeon I was
bit surprised to learn from PT  how much flexion is required to descend
stairs normally--about 98 deg on average. Normal swing
phase of gait only requires 67 deg or so.  110-115 deg compatible with
normal lifestyle--no yoga with deep flexion
of course.

Mike

I forgot to mention an important point about rehab.  My surgeon advised
me that I could (without guilt) easily skip the formal rehab procedures
in the hospital's physical therapy department.  The reason is that the
therapist's first mobililty measurements following surgery showed that
was already well exceeding the minimum goals required to exit rehab.
On
the first day (and with some considerable pain) I achieved 120 degrees
bend on the knee.  The next day I had a hard time getting to 103
degrees
but the minimum to exit therapy was only 90 degrees.

But he did caution me severely that I should not slack off on formal
therapy and a daily exercise routine.  Yesterday was a day during which
it was hard to keep that in mind.  Today I'm much more amenable. :-)

Chuck Norcutt