Re: [OM] macro test data, Cobras, et al.

Subject: Re: [OM] macro test data, Cobras, et al.
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 09:16:07 -0500

> I've driven/instructed at Watkins Glen, NHIS/NHMS, Lime Rock, Mt.
> Tremblant, Putnam Park, Summit Pt., and others. Watkins Glen is probably my
> favorite.

Many years ago I attended a high-speed driving course at Watkins Glen.  I
haven't been on the other tracks, but the Glen is definitely a special
track.  I think that Mid-Ohio is a more fun track--especially where the road
drops off the hill in that turn.

I absolutely agree about taking a driving course.  Even one of those
introductory half-day events is highly recommended.  My instructor was doing
and teaching drifting techniques years (decades?) before it became a sport.
We had a wetted down segment of racetrack and approached the turn at 100mph
when he locked up the rear wheels.  You had to make it through a 90 degree
turn with the rear wheels skidding.  I'm not sure how practical that was in
racing terms, but that training got me through many years of winter
driving.  My one and only time of driving a Porsche.

AG