Re: [OM] macro test data, Cobras, et al.

Subject: Re: [OM] macro test data, Cobras, et al.
From: "Clay Nichols" <Clay.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 09:48:24 -0400
Ed
The car is a 2009 GT500. Vapor silver with black stripes. I haven't noticed any
handling issues. But usually when I find a place to put the pedal down, it is a
straight road. Not many track events around here. But once a year the is a
mustang drive-in at Myrtle Beach. I think they use an old air port runway to
let folks open their cars up.
Thanks
Clay

>>> "Sawyer, Edward" <Ed.Sawyer@xxxxxxx> 10/2/2009 9:08 AM >>>
Sadly, Modern Photo and Pop Photo seem to have never tested the 80/4, 135/4.5,
20/3.5, 38, 20/2, etc. They did test the 90/2, 50/3.5, 50/2. I don't know of
any formalized lens test/MTF data that's been published on those.

Clay, is the cobra an original or modern one? (E.g. FactoryFive, Superformance,
etc.?)  I've driven several modern ones, as an instructor for a few local track
clubs. (BMWCCA, COMSCC, SCDA, SCCA, etc.)  They are pretty fun and fast, though
sometimes a bit challenging to drive. I drove a Superformance on track that had
a 428CJ motor with a SC, somewhere north of 500hp. It was crazy fast but hard
to drive - no power steering (!). Up at high speeds they tend to be a little
squirrely due to the poor aerodynamics.

You should considering taking it to a track event. Likely a local BMWCCA near
you runs some. Much safer than speeding on public roads, and you'll learn more
in one day on the track than in your whole life up to now, about driving fast,
the limits of the car and yourself, etc. I've driven/instructed at Watkins
Glen, NHIS/NHMS, Lime Rock, Mt. Tremblant, Putnam Park, Summit Pt., and others.
Watkins Glen is probably my favorite.

-Ed