Re: [OM] (OT) Samsung LCD monitor

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Samsung LCD monitor
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 07:20:27 -0500
On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 11:53 PM, Robert Burnette
<r.burnette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> There was a discussion some time ago about a highly recommended Samsung LCD
> monitor. I think it was black and either a 19" or 21" monitor. Could someone
> please remind me which model that was?

>From back in January, a thread with subject line "OT-LCD monitor" --
Mike L. wrote:

"I'm on my second 20" Samsung 204B after the first developed a line
across the screen. It was promptly replaced by Samsung at no cost to me
including postage. However I never resolved the blackout issue. It may
be a timing issue with this particular monitor or it could be a video
card issue. Or some incompatibility between the two. In any event it is
an annoyance. I chose the 204b, not 204bw (wide) because it is
1600x1200, exactly 4/3. Not short and squatty. Consider 1200 pixel
vertical resolution a minimum especially if you plan to use the monitor
for Word documents etc. as I doo for work. The width over 1600 would be
nice for the PS tool bars, history etc. A poor man's second monitor.
Finally the 204B profiles reasonably well and is perfectly fine to use
editing and printing photos. It falls down on uniform illumination and
viewing angle. Any monitor below $500 or so will be similar. You would
need to spend about +/-$800 to get into a "pro" monitor. Although the
Samsung 245T approaches that and a good price."

Followup from Scott Gomez:

"I've been using a Samsung 2243BWX for well over a year now. It is
a great monitor. Analog and DVI inputs, height adjustable, wide
screen format. About the only complaint I've got with it is that it has
nearly invisible lettering for where the touch controls are located:
there are no real buttons. That said, I so rarely need any control
other than the on/off switch, that it's not much of a hardship; I've
learned where to poke it for the power switch.."

Quite a bit more in that thread if you can find it, but this amount
may contain the info you're looking for.

Joel W.