Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 36: a bit of France, a bit of Alicante

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 36: a bit of France, a bit of Alicante
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 10:09:10 +0200
Thanks Carlos!

The lens aperture shown in the exif is indeed always the maximum
aperture of the lens, not the shooting aperture. The M8 (nor the M9)
has the possibility of recording the actual aperture used. Apparently
when developing the M8, Leica tried a system to do that but it was too
imprecise in tests and so never made it into production.

If the lens is not coded, then the exif data shows nothing about the
lens and shows the aperture as f1. I think the M9 lets you specify the
focal length via the menu, but I am not sure.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain