Re: [OM] 12 volt battery advice

Subject: Re: [OM] 12 volt battery advice
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 17:10:29 -0400
Bah, that is disappointing.  SLA batteries do NOT like to be stored on
float either.  For one car battery , empirically seems to work to
trickle charge once a week for 12 hours  or so---so far has worked well
for 6 years.  Slight discharge to 70% with topping off is about right
IIRC.  If an elegant charger that would monitor the state of battery
and do this as needed doesn't exist, it should.
Perhaps Jeff's link to a way to refurbish one with mild sulfation will
work--at least worth a try.  Doesn't look great.
Wonder what  finally happened in Moose's mysteriously discharging
battery saga?

Mike

Something to look at:
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-35.htm

No firsthand experience. My Quantum lead acid batteries have held up
very
well, the NiMH have all died (bought used).

Jeff Keller