Re: [OM] New affordable Sony FF

Subject: Re: [OM] New affordable Sony FF
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 13:08:37 +0200
Hi Mike and all,

From: usher99@xxxxxxx

>The problem Mirex had with my custom Mamiya to OM t-s adapter was the

>space for the bayonet release.  They engineered the release

>to be inside the adapter.  It is a bit fussy at first but works well.

I don't recall the details of the adapter you mention. Generally speaking,
the great thing about using OM lenses with adapters is that they, unlike
most brands, have the release button on the lens itself, instead of on the
body -- for instance, you can mount and remove OM lenses on an EOS body with
adapter just like if it were an OM body. OTOH, the same EOS body with
adapters for other brands (say Nikon, Yashica/Contax, etc) makes the simple
operation of changing lenses much more cumbersome:

1) Remove the adapter+old lens from the EOS body

2) Press the (usually tiny and/or hidden) release and unmount the old lens

3) Mount the new lens on the adapter (the release should lock)

4) Mount the new lens+adapter on the body again.

>A glassless adapter  OM to alpha with the Mirex

>solution on the OM side seems difficult but possible.

The register distance doesn't preclude it, of course, but we should check
the diameters -- that's why the EOS mount allows so many adapters, it has a
very wide throat (and just 44mm register)

>I would bet Ian

>at Srb Griturn

>as the technical advisor or SK Grimes with their machining skills might

>give it a go.

It would be interesting to hear what they think.

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)