Re: [OM] Questar 700 reflex lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Questar 700 reflex lens
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 13:40:41 -0400
That would be an interesting pair-up.  The Celestron, being a
Schmidt-Cassegrain design, should have a leg up on the Questar as
regards coma since the Questar (like most small mirror lenses) is a
Maksutov design.  However, Celestron is a mass-market producer relative
to Questar.  Final finish and QC might trump the design advantage.  Of
course, coma is a function of fast optics so the superior design of the
Celestron would already be under stress from the Questar being a slower
optic.  The Celestron should also suffer more from diffraction being a
faster optic with a larger central obstruction.

So, who has a Celestron 750mm f/6?  I wish I did.  My only Celestron is
2000mm f/10.  I think the 750 f/6 probably hasn't been made for 30 years.

Chuck Norcutt