[OM] Questar 700 reflex lens

Subject: [OM] Questar 700 reflex lens
From: "DrT \(George Themelis\)" <drt-3d@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 01:25:19 -0400
Talking about expensive reflex lenses, a Questar 700 showed up for sale in
ebay.

See here for info about this lens: http://www.cameraquest.com/questar.htm

The lens in ebay was complete with hard case and looked beautiful.  The
seller even took a picture of the full moon for special sales effects.  I
already own a Questar 3.5 telescope so I like the company and the quality of
their products.  I would like to try this lens for wildlife and astronomical
photography (with Olympus cameras of course!)

The opening bid was $899.  (ouch!)

I jumped the gun and bought it (only bid).

It arrived today.  Packed in a flat rate large priority mail box.  No
packing really.  The box of the lens is actually a bit wider than the
package so it was bulging at the center.

I opened the box with shaking hands... Took it out, and what do I see?
A piece is rattling inside the lens (see attached picture).  Something got
unglued and was floating around.

The seller is of course surprised since he/she used it before sending it.
But I am sure the thin packaging and the fact that sometimes postal
employees play soccer with these boxes, must have something to do with it.

I am returning it tomorrow.

Keeping an eye for the next one.

George