Re: [OM] some shots on summer flora done in RVP.

Subject: Re: [OM] some shots on summer flora done in RVP.
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgonzalezgentile@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 22:40:19 -0300
Chris, that is quite a question, I doubt that my English and my
knowledge are up to a sensible answer.

First, I'll try to tell what I've found listening to critique, end
looking at my own photos on ColorSync calibrated iMac (I almost killed
my mother's iMac comparing both monitors).
This monitor is not such a thing: it's a Graphic Series ViewSonic CRT,
and calibrated using lagom.com and adobe gamma, hope to have a spyder
pro by November.
Consistently, Mac users point out that they see my pictures too
saturated and oversharpened, while I see those made on a Mac
acceptable.
I calibrated an iMac monitor using ColorSync to generate three
profiles: iMac calibrated profile, aRGB calibrated profile and sRGB
calibrated profile. Set PS to my preferred color management: Europe
Prepress 2.
When loaded my 16bit .tiff into an iMac, they looked horrid - but just
the opposite as you're telling me. I myself saw them too dark,
saturated and contrasty either in PreView or PS. I had a long exchange
with Carlos on this ... not sure if we came to a valid conclusion. It
was understandable in PreView, but not in PS. I sort of troubleshooted
this using ProofColors -> Windows monitor in the iMac, they came quite
close.
Not feeling comfortable with my workaround, I walked up to where my
friends at the Apple store are, and loaded my photos. Quickly
calibrated using ColorSync (not in expert mode) and set it to D65,
gamma 2.2 (my former calibration was done on expert mode, and settled
on a Native gamma and white point - no way adobeRGB or sRGB would fit,
I'm thinking this right now). Well, at D65, 2.2, and PS in Europe
Prepress 2, I watched my pictures quite as I see them in my ViewSonic
(TFT differences notwithstanding).

Wow, that's quite the opposite to what I'm accustomed to hear from a
common Mac - TFT user: you're telling me it looks dull ;-) - it's
almost a compliment !!

I've been most puzzled by this issue, and it's one which has taken me
away of Apple (not the only one - mp3 & iTunes are the main ;-) ).

Would you mind setting your monitor to D65, 2.2 and Europe Prepress 2,
and tell me what do you see: both in Preview and in PS?

Far from dull, I see the second one almost screamingly red at the
Eucaliptus trunk surface; lots - not: tons of tones on the surface of
that giant 'white' mushroom .... the best I could match the Velvia 50.

Then, after John finishes the repair of my OM 4Ti, and I have my
spyder pro, both things at home - well, I'll start saving for a
Samsung TFT (unfortunately VA).

But last Saturday I found another new finding: converted to sRGB a
photo of mine which had some deeply buried shadow detail in my CRT,
and went to a Fuji lab to print a couple of 45 x 30 cm. Their
ViewSonic TFTs showed almost none shadow detail and way too saturated
dark blue sky - it was calibrated to match the print (Fuji Crystal
Archival paper), which obviously came out truly similar to that
ViewSonic.
PS had SWOP 2 as CMYK profile (instead of FujiFrontier .icc !! - I
couldn't understand why), and sRGB as RGB profile.
BUT - I ran adobe gamma after loading sRGB from system 32 - spool -
colors - sRGB, and the centre 'neutral' gray was, in fact BLUE !!

Prints were good regarding resolution and saturation - but forget
about shadow detail. The unreal deep-blue sky didn't look too bad ;^)

Shall wait for your findings ...

Fernando.