Re: [OM] One Small Complaint (Bellows + Winder)

Subject: Re: [OM] One Small Complaint (Bellows + Winder)
From: "Clay Nichols" <Clay.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 10:51:51 -0400
I had the same problem with the bellows & winder combo. After a while, I just
used the bellows without the winder.

Also, massive extension is not out the specs for 20mm. Like you said, it pretty
much becomes a microscope. But the more mag from extension, the sensitive the
rig is to vibration and the more light you need for viewing and proper exposer.
Mirror lock up is a must.

You can build long, long extension tubes out of PVC pipe or construct a light
tight box of any length you fancy.

But my favorite combo was using a long lens like everyone's favorite closet
queen, the 300 f4.5. A bit unwieldy, but results are striking.
Clay

>>> Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx> 8/28/2009 10:30 AM >>>
Interesting. I must say, though it is a nice and solid bellows, it is
built
to a different standard to the other olympus equipment I have used.
For example,
all other equipment usually have engraved / stamped markings, whereas
the bellows
does not. And it's odd that, as part of this system in which
everything fits
so well together, they would have designed a bellows which is just a
couple of mm
too short to accommodate a body with a winder attached to it, one of
the few places
one would always wish to use it.

Oh well, for those cases I just use the auto-tube, but the bellows has
a much greater
extensions range (especially on the short end - the 20/3.5 with
minimum bellows extension
has significantly less image magnification than on the tube's min.
extension).

Also, a couple of times, I have used the auto-tube together with the
bellows for massive
extension - outside the specs of the 20/3.5 macro, but I am happy with
the images it seems
to produce when pushed like that. It's a microscope, really.

Back to the bellows: Mounting upside-down is not really an option for
me because of flash,
but are you guys saying that a Motor Drive 1 would fit? (whereas the
winder does not?)