Re: [OM] The rule of 600, was: LV vs. EV and low light metering

Subject: Re: [OM] The rule of 600, was: LV vs. EV and low light metering
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 21:07:51 +0200
Hi, Chuck and all,

Hi Chuck and all,

From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>the "rule of 600" which states that, in order to keep stars from forming

>a trail, the exposure in seconds can't be longer than 600/focal length.

Yeah, but I'm a bit more tolerant, I use 1000/focal length -- a slight trail
at every star is OK. See this pic, 12 sec with Canon FD 85/1.2 Aspherical,
Fujichrome 400 @ 1600:

<http://cjss.sytes.net/atachaos/sagitario.jpg>

>But I guess that

>probably for the celestial equator so maybe Ursa Major can stretch the
rule.

Sure. And a low-resolution web pic is going to be more tolerant, too.

>Confusing to me was a statement that the "rule of 600" was independent

>of format and dependent only on focal length.

I have to admit I "never" do Astrophotography other than 35mm format... but
maybe this rule is, like depth of field, related to a certain CoC, thus
larger on bigger formats.
Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)