Re: [OM] LV vs. EV and low light metering [was: Guru or Flack?]

Subject: Re: [OM] LV vs. EV and low light metering [was: Guru or Flack?]
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 14:49:36 -0500

> Beautiful picture! Does Ursa Major qualify as the bear you were looking
> for?
> ;^) BTW, your (geographic) latitude seems much higher than mine...

No. Hence the story.  ;)
N 43.8939
W 102.4136

Some modern films (esp. Fuji Provia, Sensia...) have negligible reciprocity
> failure.

Agree, entirely.

I absolutely agree, according to my experience. The same goes for Provia and
> Sensia 400. Can't tell about Velvia, because I never use it...

Velvia 50 and Velvia 100 do exhibit visible reciprocity failure in anything
beyond a minute or so, but it's quite linear about it and starting to be
affected by it even at a few seconds.

> How do you check these colour shifts due to reciprocity failure? Unless
> you're doing pinhole photography, no sunlight will be available at such low
> light levels, thus the illumiant may no longer be the expected 5500ºK...

Very good question.  Provia's shift to the red seems more to me as though
the magenta sensitve layer is less prone to reciprocity failure which ends
up intensifying the reds in long exposures.

> >Frankly, I'd like to learn from others how to better shoot digital
> >after the sun goes down.
>
> Shoot film :-) :-) :-)

Well, the point is, I'm obviously brain-dead when it comes to digital
photography.

Carlos, your post was excellent!!!!

AG