Re: [OM] Guru or Flack? [was Another sunset sky from Colorado]

Subject: Re: [OM] Guru or Flack? [was Another sunset sky from Colorado]
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 07:13:36 -0500
This is good, very good.  What I was hoping for and we are getting is good
"peer review" of claims and counterclaims.
Thanks for the complements on the photograph itself. I had envisioned it and
hoped that the film would do what I thought it would do and it (the Provia,
at least) didn't disappoint.

I want to address the metering bit:

The scene was so dark that NOTHING was giving me usable meter readings.  (I
needed a flashlight just to see where my camera was at, much less adjust
it). I had to manually expose the E-1 for the proof shots.  The meter
sensitivity in modern cameras is not too shabby, but still within maybe an
EV or two of what I had available--probably less and possibly worse.  Hmm.
 Let's see.  The OM-4T(i) is able to OTF to -5 EV, and spotmeter to -7 EV.
(ISO 100, 50/1.4). I'm not sure, but I think the 5D's meter range is +1 EV
on the low end (at some unspecified iso/lens).  Could one of you look this
up?

So, if it is true that the OM-4T(i) is good for auto-exposure down to -5 EV,
what digital cameras meet or exceed this?

This is strictly a converstation about metering and/or auto-exposure, not
the imaging system itself.  It matters not what ISO you are shooting at,
this is a metering question.

AG