Re: [OM] Guru or Flack? [was Another sunset sky from Colorado]

Subject: Re: [OM] Guru or Flack? [was Another sunset sky from Colorado]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 15:03:50 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> On another note, when are you going to tell me what you did to spruce up my
> granddaughter's photo.  I thought her skin was too yellow but the result was
> otherwise improved.  I saved CH's response but have yet to try it out.

Sheesh, you'd think I had nothing to do.  :-)   Between a little
consulting project and a leak under the kitchen sink, list time has been
impacted.

I mess with lots of images, sometimes keeping most of the layers,
sometimes not, and I don't keep notes. For this one, at least I kept the
layers, so I can show the steps.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/CNorcutt/img_2646.htm>

I roughly duplicated the steps, noting settings:

1. Mode = 16 bit

2. Levels, center from 1.00 to about 1.33. Get the subject into the middle.

3. Highlights about Amount 22, Tonal Width 40. Bring down highlights
(rejigger shoulder) Sometimes I would skip #2 and adjust shadows here,
also. Judgment call.

4. Brightness -11, Contrast -11. My default adjustment to prepare for
LCE on many images, so ends of the histogram won't be blown.

5. LCE, USM of 20,50,0. My default single pass LCE settings.

6. Curves something like 46=>35, 128=>133, 185=>202. To taste.
Also under the Curves, I did something now much more subtle to skin
tones and added a Mask to retain the original background.

Lest all this seem like more work than it is, remember that I have
actions for many of these steps. 1. is just one click; 4 & 5 are just
two clicks each, as I didn't change my default settings. And so on.

Moose