Re: [OM] Antivirus?

Subject: Re: [OM] Antivirus?
From: khen lim <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 14:04:39 +0800
The antivirus market has gone a little insane lately. Now that market
attention is no longer hogged by Norton and McAfee, there are some newcomers
that have come in from the cold. I think discussions on antivirus in this
list aren't new; so you'll expect to hear pretty much the same
recommendations on AVG, Avast and now there's also Avira. Never heard of it?
Count me in! We had an IT trade fair this weekend and it was virtually a
Kaspersky versus Avira war going on there and both offer very cheap
solutions for security including Internet protection. Of course that's a
broad definition and coverage!
My opinion on all these is that one day, product A will be king. Another
day, product B will be better. The next day no one would have heard of
product C but it is the best.

I used to use AVG like Chuck but turned over to Avast. Got disillusioned
with Avast because it couldn't detect and deal with the annoying VBS-Solow
virus. I tried to find out as much as I could about this virus. I tried some
ideas out but they never really worked. Other ideas were too cryptic and I'm
not to game about going into the Registry and muck about.

With Avast, it was like pulling out the weed but the root's still in the
ground. And so everyday, Avast will continue to raise alert and then I find
myself spending virtually forever deleting so-called malicious files. This
can go on forever...until I decide to cripple it so that I can then do work
in peace. In the end, I got fed up with the whole thing and recommissioned
my whole ThinkPad. And then bought a 3-user licensed Avira pack from those
pesky salespeople (in very short skirts and Japanese anime costumes) at the
trade fair.

Just my two cents worth anyway.

K.

2009/8/16 Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I got tired of AVG's resource hungriness.  I moved to Avast and am
> happy.  But it is very different.  It works by analyzing only what's
> used and on-the-fly, not by batch interrogation of the entire disk...
> although it can do that too.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>

> Don Holbrook wrote:
> > Am finally moving up to XP.  Could use latest advice on AVG, Avast,
> > or something else? Tired of Norton & McAfee.
> --

Khen Lim - Zone-10 LLC, Des Moines, Iowa, USA

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of people” - Emily
Cox
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them" - Walt
Disney