Re: [OM] First time to shoot with Kodak Double-X film

Subject: Re: [OM] First time to shoot with Kodak Double-X film
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 16:42:26 -0700
Michael Wong wrote:
> There are 2 type of Double-X films,... I developed the film with HC110
> dilution B & push up to ISO800 (original
> ISO250).
>
> HC110 Dilution B, 21℃, 12 mins
> http://www.fotop.net/MichaelWong/LittleEgret20090809
>
> Maybe there was 1℃ higer (normally 20℃ for development), the contrast is a
> bit little higher than my expectation. I'll try 20℃ for development next roll.

I have no idea about the details of B&W development, as it's been over
30 years since I did so.

I did generally enjoy the images. It does seem to me that there is
something wrong in the tonal distribution. Overall contrast seems too
high, but with middle tones not contrasty enough and/or without enough
edge contrast. AG could probably say it better in terms of the curve
slope, shoulder and toe shapes, etc.

I can give examples.

Here, almost all the interesting wall texture was lost in highlights and
the detail in the rug on the floor lost in shadow, yet with the middle
tones flat.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/MWong&image=IMG3946_Cron35ASPHaia.jpg>

The same problems here.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/MWong&image=IMG3947_Cron35ASPHa.jpg>

I also tried a tighter crop to cut off the blown highlights on the
bottom.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/MWong&image=IMG3947_Cron35ASPHb.jpg>

Here, a lot of muddy, undifferentiated tones in the foliage. Also, I
couldn't resist softening the grain in the sky.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/MWong&image=IMG3955_Cron35ASPHa.jpg>

I like this better without the napkin blown to pure white, with more
contrast in the shadows and a tough less grain in the menus.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/MWong&image=IMG3956_Cron35ASPHa.jpg>

Moose