Re: [OM] First sampling of pictures from Colorado

Subject: Re: [OM] First sampling of pictures from Colorado
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 13:52:09 -0500

> I have been trying to imagine what you were photographing out in the
> boondocks, Ken.  I should have known that it would be interesting and
> attractive ...
>
> ... I look forward to more of them.

Thanks, Chris.  Colorado is a beautiful state--one which you can stand just
about anywhere in the state, look around and find something to photograph.

The Molas Lake photos are exciting--probably the next ones to see the light
of the Internet.  Unfortunately, the Velvia got slightly underexposed so
I'll have to revert to the Provia shots of the mountains reflecting in the
lake.

Important Programming Note:

My OM-2S has a flaky ISO dial which forces me to avoid ISO 50 and ISO 100.
So, I decided to set it at ISO 80 when I needed to shoot the 'chromes when
the OM-4T got film-advance-challenged.  The Velvia 100 really needs that
extra 1/3 of a stop with the OM bodies as I think auto-exposure tends to
slighly under-expose anyway.  The Velvia shots taken with the OM-2S were
substantially better exposed than the OM-4T shots on auto.  Although, I'm
not bugged, because the very fine line of over-expose and
blow-the-clouds-out drives you to suicide.

But, just maybe there is something else in play.  For years, I've felt that
in auto mode the OM-2md, OM-2n and OM-2S exposed 'chromes more accurately
than the OM-4 and OM-4T bodies.  When questioned, a certain list-member
confirmed that the two series expose differently, but his opinion is that
the OM-4x is better.  Go figure.

Anyway, as a result, the Molas Lake sunset photos taken with Velvia may need
some serious shadow recovery to attempt to recover the densities.  The
clouds and mountains, though, are awesome.

I had meant to order a new ND-Grad before the trip, but forgot when I was
putting the film order together.  Too bad, because I could have really used
it a few times.

AG