Re: [OM] How the day wound up

Subject: Re: [OM] How the day wound up
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 08:21:19 -0400
I think I would have at least taken a monopod... unless it was in the
car that was in the garage being serviced.  I went yesterday to the
Pierce Creek civil war reenactment
<http://www.1stvacav.com/pierce-creek/> where I always end up shooting
nearly everything at 200mm.  I went to get the monopod only to discover
that it's in the Buick which is in the dealer's garage awaiting new
front brakes.  So this year's shots may be a little shakier than before.
  :-)

ps:  I've also finally discovered a reason to shoot JPEG.  For three
years running I've been trying to catch the flame of a canon shot before
everything is obscured by smoke.  Having not succeeded before I decided
that I must just start rapid fire shooting when the gun captain
indicates he's about ready to issue the command to fire.  After missing
several attempts I tried shooting even faster only to discover that I
rapidly filled the buffer and had to wait what seemed like an hour
before the SanDisk Extreme III finished writing raw files.  I missed the
main event on that try and was too tired of holding up my 300 pound lens
without a monopod.  So I gave up.  Next year I'll have to switch to JPEG
to try and catch the flame.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt