Re: [OM] OT New possibilities for street shooters.

Subject: Re: [OM] OT New possibilities for street shooters.
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 19:45:27 +0200
Hi Moose and all,

From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

>Ricoh soldiers on with the GR III, with a faster lens and, among other

>things,

<snip>

>It also gains faster AF and a 'full-press snap' mode that jumps to a

>preset focus distance for fast street shooting."

Never have used a Ricoh digital, but I had a (film) GR-1 with the 28mm lens.
Although very nice optically and with more control than the typical P&S, AF
performance was rather disappointing for my taste -- about 1 sec. from full
press and actual shutter release. It ruined many "could you please press
here" pics, where the innocent helper pressed the button and, while getting
the camera off his/her eye, there was the flash dump...

And yes, it had a 'snap' mode for hyperfocal prefocusing... but only saved
the calculation time: the lens had still to move physically to that fixed
distance setting any time -- circa 0.5 sec.

There was, however, a nearly-instant mode, the obscure 'single shot AF'
mode: with a cumbersome button combination, it focused (and moved the lens
accordingly) to whatever was in front of it, keeping that distance setting
until disabled. It was necessarily linked to the spot meter, though.

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)