Re: [OM] ( OM ) Digital landscapes - example

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Digital landscapes - example
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 09:07:10 -0500

> Provia or Ektar colour film. When I scan Provia to the same
> dimensions, there is just absolutely no
> (nada, zip) grain. I also find that colour slide film (ISO 100) has
> vastly more resolution than ISO 100
> black and white film - not sure why this is? One apparently has to use
> Pan F to match the resolution and (not
> even then) the smoothnes of Provia 100F.

Provia 100F is smooth, but not the sharpest tack in the drawer.  Velvia 50,
Velvia 100, Astia 100F and 160S will all out-resolve Provia 100F.  PanF
absolutely blows them all away in the resolution department AND in tonal
seperation.

Scanned B&W is always going to be grainier than wet-printed B&W. There is a
very disturbing interaction between the film grain and the linear sensor
which causes aliasing artifacts accentuating the grain.

AG