[OM] Somewhat off-topic, if food is ever off topic on this list

Subject: [OM] Somewhat off-topic, if food is ever off topic on this list
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 20:58:17 -0500
Restaurant alert.
We enjoyed a fabulous meal in Kansas City this Sunday.

I've always sought out good Indian food and found nearly all Indian
restaurants to be lacking in some areas.  It is extremely disappointing to
order a curry item and have it so bland as to be tasteless.  In my opinion,
a spicy item should be spicy, not taste like a Saltine cracker. In the USA,
I had found only one restaurant in New Jersey that made things even
reasonably close to the way I know it should be done--but even that had been
Americanized.  I've had world-class Indian cuisine in England as well as
Amsterdam as well as served in private homes by highly-trained Indian cooks,
but in the USA, every Indian restaurant experience has been a supreme
disappointment.  I'm a hack at making Indian food, but can usually do better
than most of the restaurants.

Until now.

The place is called "SWAGAT" and is located in the "Zona Rosa Center" up off
I-29 and Highway 152.

The atmosphere is a cross between "casual dining" and Indian Restaurant.
Unfortunately, the spread lacked some of the finer desert items that are
usually available, but the food was absolutely exceptional.  It was done
right!  The spicing was perfect.  Everything was not only spiced correctly
(it had attitude), but was cooked to perfection. It was reference material.

So, for my ratings:
Location:  Five Lens-Caps (Zona Rosa Center is terrific)
Atmosphere: Three Lens-Caps (A little too "formatted" inside, not enough
idiosyncrasies to keep me entertained, but it smelled authentic)
Price: Four Lens-Caps (Typical "casual dining" prices, but lacked some
options)
Cleanliness: Five Lens-Caps
Service: Four Lens-Caps
Food: Five Lens-Caps
Selection: Three Lens-Caps (needed more options for weak-stomached
Caucasians)
Customers: Four Lens-Caps (half were Indians, the rest clueless white-people
wanting to appear hip)

Overall, SWAGAT receives the Schnozz's coveted "Five Lens-Caps" award.

AG (reviews anything and everything) Schnozz