Re: [OM] Images As The Mood Strikes - 19

Subject: Re: [OM] Images As The Mood Strikes - 19
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 21:43:49 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Thanks.  I didn't read closely enough.  A "Mallet" is what has secondary, low
> pressure cylinders and 4294 is not a Mallet.

The original Mallet patent included both articulation with two sets of
drive wheels and high/low pressure cylinders. The high pressure ones
drove one set of wheels and the low drove another. Nice from an energy
efficiency standpoint, but not as powerful as an articulated design with
all high pressure cylinders.

So this engine and several other large, articulated US designs ended up
being "half-mallets", maximizing both ability to negotiate tight radius
bends and total tractive power at the expense of energy efficiency.

Whoo Whoo Moose