Re: [OM] The Kodachrome Project

Subject: Re: [OM] The Kodachrome Project
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 18:58:38 -0500
On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Fernando Gonzalez
Gentile<fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Joel Wilcox wrote:
>> Vuescan produces a scan that is quite low
>> in contrast,
> I found the same. Ken had pointed it out and I'd say they're quite low
> in contrast.
>> which is better than the opposite,
> Even when you get to print ... ?

You simply have to get the contrast correct in post-processing, which
is much easier to do if you want to create a more contrasty image from
a less contrasty image, rather than the other way around.  Maybe I'm
wrong about that, but I don't think so.  I used to use Silverfast, but
it generally produced a scan which was too contrasty and difficult to
tame.  Makes more sense to me to get the scan safely into PS without
losing any information in the process and then tweak it from there.
Vuescan is perfect for that.

>> I work up the images in AdobeRGB and convert only for web images.
>> Perhaps there is some issue with that as well.
> Good news, I'm not the only one !.

I have literally thousands of film scans in AdobeRGB.  It seems too
late in the game to change for me!

Joel W.