[OM] FL-50R flash with Olympus E-P1

Subject: [OM] FL-50R flash with Olympus E-P1
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 18:21:54 -0400

Have read the same---say it ain't so, Joe.  Perhaps a glaring omission
or they will at least patch the firmware  so the flashes will provide
AF assist.
I don't even think the flash built for it (FL-14)  will provide AF
assist! : see link

http://reviews.davidleetong.com/?p=1189

I think the DZ  50 f2 will work but some focusing issues:  I don't know
all the details. Lifted this from DPR:

"First & foremost, much thanks again for all the help.
I've now got my digital rangefinder kit; 1. 17mm pancake. 2.) 25mm
pancake. 3.) Zuiko 50 f2 all in my original Leica M6 bag.....Awesome.
In any case, I thought I would share what I do with the 50 f2 to
minimize (eliminate?) "hunting" with it. Trying to "payback" for all
the help I received.

I set the F(n) button to MF. I use the AEL/AFL for focusing as learned
here.
And normal focusing mode S-AF. When I approach the subject, I press the
F(n)
button & quickly MF the person; do not need to get precise focus.

Then, I press the F(n) button. moving back to S-AF mode & focus with
the AEL/AFL button; now here's the cool part, it focuses every time, so
far, within 1/2 second, & I just fire away at will with the shutter
button.
No "hunting", just the quiet "stepping" sound getting the head &
shoulders or face in focus. And, if I move around a bit, no need to go
to MF again,as once in range, AF20re-focusing is quick (always under a
second) & precise!
More than likely everyone here has already figured this out, & I
apologize if it's too obvious; however, just thought I would share it
with you folks.

Is the Zuiko 50 f2 a keeper; you bet, color, bokeh & detail are quite
nice! "

I hope Oly addresses the AF assist businness.
HTH,
Mike

Hi all,

I wonder if someone have tried using FL-50 with EP1. I have heard FL-50
focus-assist feature doesn´t work with E-P1. I cannot believe it!!! I
am
planning to buy one but my 14-54 f2.8-3.5 doesn´t work and I don´t know
if also my 50 f2 works (any firmware update???) with this camera using
an adapter in AF mode.

How does autofocus perform in low ligh using a 14-42 f3.5-5.6 lens?

Regards,