Re: [OM] split-grade/multi-contrast B&W printing

Subject: Re: [OM] split-grade/multi-contrast B&W printing
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 15:48:37 +0200
Hi Edward,

Well, in my first image (woman on beach), I dodged substantial areas
during the highlight print; if one did not separate the highlight and
shadow exposure, it would be very very difficult to achieve the same
effect. I do agree, that if one does not dodge/burn, then one can
always achieve the same thing with a straight print. However, split-
grade printing completely takes the guesswork out of the printing
process, where one no longer has to "guess" a starting grade by
assessing the negative, and then do subsequent prints on other grades
until one is happy.

I am not saying that I do not adjust for subsequent prints (for
effect), but the process I follow *guarantees* a technically
sufficient / 'correct' (whatever that means, but I see it in terms of
dynamic range) print with two test strips, and then you can take it
from there. I do not disagree that there are MUCH nicer fixed-grade
papers, but it seems many of them have disappeared in anyway, and I
don't think I am experienced enough yet to become a paper snob, I am
perfectly happy with the standard medium-weight RC paper I am using at
this stage.

The other advantage of RC paper for me at this stage is time - I can
only print for about 30mins to an hour at a time, and the long washing
times of FB paper (especially with subsequent toning) would make my
much less productive during what I consider to still be a learning
phase.

thanks for looking,
Dawid