Re: [OM] split-grade/multi-contrast B&W printing

Subject: Re: [OM] split-grade/multi-contrast B&W printing
From: "Sawyer, Edward" <Ed.Sawyer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 09:38:40 -0400
Nice B&W prints Dawid, but what about these could not be done w/ normal graded
paper printing? E.g. what does split-tone (split-contrast, basically, right?)
add that you can't get via normal printing? I've done it in the past but not
for 20 yrs or so (multi-contrast B&W printing via different filters) and my
conclusions then was that it wasn't really worth the trouble, I could get the
details where I needed it via other methods usually. Plus I didn't like having
to deal with multi-grade paper if I could help it (preferred the
graded-versions of Seagull G, Galerie, et al). Would be willing to revisit that
conclusion if it's warranted though.

To me the lack of decent FB multigrade papers would be enough of a turnoff in
general, possibly...

Thanks for sharing
-Ed